Little Gem Lettuce Seeds. Little Gem is a great Cos Lettuce that is quick to mature, dwarf and compact. This romaine lettuce grows 6″ high with a thick, sweet heart. It’s perfect for individual salads and sandwiches. This popular variety is easy to grow and holds well for a prolonged harvest.It produces crisp, sweet, medium-sized hearts. Resistant to root aphid.
Growing Little Gem Lettuce
- For an early start, Little Gem Lettuce Seeds can be started in flats 4 weeks prior to the last frost and transplanted outdoors in mid to late spring.
- Sow seed 1/8 inch deep, 1 inch apart in rows 12 to 18 inches apart.
- When plants have two or three true leaves, thin to 12-inch spacings for crisphead varieties, 6 to 10 inches for other types.
- You can also lightly broadcast seed (particularly of looseleaf varieties) in a patch instead of a row.
- Lettuce has a shallow root system. Keep soil moist to keep plants growing continuously. Mulch to retain moisture and suppress weeds.
- Lettuce is tolerant of a wide range of soils, but prefers well-drained, cool, loose soil with plentiful moisture and pH 6.2 to 6.8.
Information is for educational and informational purposes only and may not be construed as medical advice. The information is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment offered by healthcare professionals.