Flat White Boer Pumpkin is an attractive, very flat, pure white pumpkin that is an unique South African variety. It is a very flat gently ribbed pumpkin with a smooth white rind, and deep orange flesh. Size is 10-15cm high, by 30-50cm in diameter. They can grow up to 12 kg. The flat shape allows it to be stacked easily for storage. It is a long storing pumpkin. Its hardy skin protects it from sunburn out in the fields, therefore can be left to fully dry in the sun once the leaves have died back.
The bright orange flesh of this pumpkin is dense, fine, sweet, and aromatic, with a full flavor. It cooks well, without becoming watery like lesser quality varieties. It is a good general use pumpkin, for roasting, mashing, and baking pies.
Growing Flat White Boer Pumpkin
- When the soil temperature is at 18 C. you can plant your Pumpkin Seeds. Pumpkin seeds won’t germinate in cold soil.
- Mound the soil in the center of the chosen location up a bit to help the sun heat the pumpkin seeds.
- The warmer the soil, the faster the pumpkin seeds will germinate.
- In the mound, plant three to five pumpkin seeds about 2.5 cm deep.
- Once the pumpkin seeds germinate, select two of the healthiest and thin out the rest.
Information is for educational and informational purposes only and may not be construed as medical advice. The information is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment offered by healthcare professionals.