African Potato medicinal uses are well known and it is probably the best known muti plant in the country. It has been used as a traditional medicine for centuries.
Common names include: star flower, yellow star (Eng.); sterblom, geelsterretjie, gifbol (Afr.); moli kharatsa, lotsane (S Sotho); inkomfe, inkomfe enkulu (Zulu), inongwe, ilabatheka, ixhalanxa, ikhubalo lezithunzela (Xhosa), tshuka (Tsw).
African Potato Medicinal Uses Overview
- Used in the treatment of urinary tract disorders including bladder infections (cystitis)
- Used in the treatment of prostate problems including benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostate cancer, other cancers and lung disease such as tuberculosis.
- The plant is used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- It is used to build up the immune system of patients suffering from cancer and HIV.
- It is also used as a laxative and to expel intestinal worms.
- It is beneficial for treating fever, headache, migraines and dizziness.
- Some people apply African wild potato directly to the skin to promote wound healing.
African Potato (Hypoxis hemerocallidea) Herbal Preparations
Parts Used: The root or corm of the plant is used.
African Potato Herbal Recipes
African Potato Tea
Use 1-2 teaspoons of dried African Potato in 500 ml of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 – 15 min. Strain and drink 3 times per day
Information is for educational and informational purposes only and may not be construed as medical advice. The information is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment offered by healthcare professionals.