Slender Poker (Kniphofia laxiflora) is an evergreen plant which flowers in late summer and autumn. The linear leaves appear from the rhizome at the base of the plant. The drooping tubular reddish orange flowers are loosely arranged on the tall inflorescence. The color may vary from salmon to yellow to bright orange-red. The flowers attract hummingbirds and bees to the garden. The plants are used traditionally as a medicine. An infusion of the roots is used to relieve or treat the symptoms of certain chest disorders.
Growing Slender Poker
- Sow the seeds in a seed tray filled with a commercial seedling mixture and cover with about 2 mm of the mixture.
- Water well and keep the tray in a shady spot until the seed germinates in about 2 weeks – 45 days.
- When the seedlings have 3 or 4 leaves, pot them up in bags to grow on until large enough to transplant into the garden.
- They can then be planted in the garden in a sunny, well-drained position.
- The first flowers will appear after the plant is about 2 years old.
Information is for educational and informational purposes only and may not be construed as medical advice. The information is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment offered by healthcare professionals.