Cleavers Medicinal Uses are many. Cleavers (Galium aparine) herb is found around the world in Europe, North America, Asia, Greenland, and Australia. The history of cleavers as a medicinal plant stretches as far back as the Ancient Greeks. This species is a straggling climber, growing up to 3 m long, with slender 4-angled stems. Its narrow leaves can reach 7 cm long and are arranged in groups (whorls) of 6-8 (rarely 4) around the stem. The whole plant is covered in minute hooked hairs, and can cling to skin, fur and clothing. The flowers are tiny, white, 4-petalled tubes, developing into small round fruits, often borne in clusters of two or three. These fruits are also covered in hooked hairs which catch in the fur of passing animals or the clothes of humans.
Cleavers Medicinal Uses Overview
Cleavers is a herb that helps the body become more vital by improving the body’s ability to eliminate waste through the kidneys, liver, lungs, or skin. Cleavers have powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties and the whole plant is rich in vitamin C.
- Cleavers has long been used as a slimming aid, because of its diuretic properties and also helps in the treatment of cellulite.
- Cleavers most common use is as a cleansing herb for treating ailments from kidney and urinary disorders to infections and itching.
- Cleavers has shown strong antimicrobial properties, and it is popularly used in the treatment of sepsis, as well as for respiratory illnesses and urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- It is excellent for skin conditions like eczema and has been traditionally used to treat a variety of skin ailments, light wounds and burns.
- Traditional medicinal uses also include relieving tonsillitis, treating scurvy, reducing fever, and lowering high blood pressure.
Cleavers Herbal Preparations and Uses
Parts Used: Leaves, Stems & Flowers
- Infusions (Tea) & Juicing
- Dried (In Capsule form)
Cleavers Herbal Recipes
- Add 1-2 heaped teaspoons of dried or fresh cleaver leaves to 1 cup boiling water and steep it for 10 minutes.
- Strain to remove bristles.
- Add 5g of freshly chopped cleavers herb to a clean jar.
- Cover in fresh filtered water and leave for 8 – 12 hours.
- Strain and sweeten with honey to taste.
Information is for educational and informational purposes only and may not be construed as medical advice. The information is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment offered by healthcare professionals.